Good paragraphs are the foundation of any writing project. Below is a unit designed to introduce students to the basics of a strong paragraph. In particular, there is a focus in this unit on organization, one of the traits of writing with which students tend to have the most trouble.
Lesson 1: What is a paragraph?
- PowerPoint: Identifying Paragraphs
Lesson 2: Topic sentences
Lesson 3: Supporting sentences
- PowerPoint: Supporting Sentences
Lesson 4: Developing a working plan
Lesson 5: Arranging details in chronological order
- PowerPoint: Chronological order
Lesson 6: Arranging details in spatial order
Lesson 7: Arranging details in order of importance
- PowerPoint: Order of Importance
Lesson 8: Arranging details in compare and contrast order
- PowerPoint: Compare and Contrast order